five years….FIVE years….60 months….260 weeks…1,820 days ago….I heard the words no one wants to hear…. “Ms Carr, You have cancer and it’s stage IV”
honestly, that feels like a lifetime ago and yet sometimes it’s at the forefront of my attention….
those close to me have heard me say more than once how cancer has been a blessing… crazy, right? how can there be ANYTHING good about cancer??????
oh, but there is! I am a living testimony that God will truly take every single situation…even the really sucky situations….use it all for good and I’m blessed to be a witness to His goodness.
don’t get me wrong, if I’d had a choice, I doubt I would’ve said, “sure! I’ll take on cancer!” but the choice wasn’t mine and here’s just some of the good:
- I am confident God will deliver me!
- grow my relationship with God deeper than I ever could’ve imagined
- the medical community has advanced to target and treat my specific cancer
- retired at age 55 vs 65 or 70
- discovered a love for faith art and grew to share it with others
- be available to take regular trips to see ‘my girl’ and extended family
- write and share a Bible study
yeah….so I’m an optimist….I choose not to focus on the hard parts of cancer… and that’s not always heathy or easy… I also discovered its a huge part of being authentic…. it’s just as important to share the hard parts…
- cancer is hard – really hard
- cancer is painful….almost every.single.day.
- cancer causes physical limitations you never dreamed of
- cancer is relentless and certainly doesn’t care about your hopes and dreams
- cancer is just.plain.mean
- God provides a WAY when there seems no way!
- God provides PEACE in a seemingly never ending storm…..
- God provides COMFORT when the pain feels unbearable
- God provides WISDOM and DISCERNMENT when you’re on information overload
- God provides STRENGTH …spiritual – emotional – physical when you are tapped out
- God provides HOPE and assurance of VICTORY that He will deliver me
bottom line? there are no guarantees in life…except one…to know and accept the salvation offered by my loving unchanging LORD and Savior 💖